Western Academic Leadership Academy
Professional development opportunity for aspiring chief academic leaders
The Western Academic Leadership Academy (Academy) is a year-long professional development program for academic leaders aspiring to become chief academic officers in the WICHE region’s postsecondary sector. The Academy, sponsored by the Western Academic Leadership Forum and the Western Alliance of Community College Academic Leaders, seeks to encourage the talents of the next generation of Western chief academic officers by helping to build the knowledge and skills of academic leaders who are poised to move to that level.
2023 Academy Dates – July 18-21, 2023
About the Program
The Academy’s faculty members share their expertise on the unique roles and responsibilities a provost assumes at a four-year institution and system. They focus specifically on developing practical skills within academic affairs, fiscal affairs, student affairs, and external relationships, with a special sensitivity to the culture and environment of the West’s higher education community.
The summer seminar is followed by opportunities for cohort members to meet with a faculty mentor as well as their cohort colleagues at national meetings or electronically throughout the year for individual consultation about career paths.
- Are sitting campus and system chief academic officers from the Western region
- Share expertise on the unique roles and responsibilities a chief academic officer assumes at an institution and system office
- Specifically focus on developing practical skills within academic affairs, fiscal affairs, student affairs, and external relationships, with a special sensitivity to the culture and environment of the West’s higher education community
- Intensive three-day, face-to-face seminar at WICHE’s headquarters in Boulder, CO
- Cohort members meet with a faculty mentor as well as their cohort colleagues at national meetings or electronically throughout the year for individual consultation about career paths
To be considered for participation, candidates:
- must hold a position of associate dean, associate vice provost or higher at one of the Forum or Alliance member institutions or organizations
- must have a letter of nomination submitted by their respective official representative participating in the Western Academic Leadership Forum or Western Alliance of Community College Academic Leaders along with a completed application form (download here).
- must submit a letter of interest and their CV
All nomination materials should be submitted to Kay Hulstrom, associate director of operations and leadership initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are selected by the Academy’s faculty.
Academy Cost: $2,999
Nomination Deadline for the 2023 Cohort: February 1, 2023
The 2023 Cohort will be finalized in mid-late March 2023
Learn more about the current and prior cohorts of the Leadership Academy
For more information, please contact:
Associate Director of Operations and Leadership Initiatives, Programs and Services