State Authorization and Military Students


What should an institution do if its military students are transferred to another state? This is a common occurrence for military students. Does that mean the institution needs to be authorized in the student’s new state every time he or she is transferred? The answer, as it usually is for state authorization questions, is “it depends.” Most states will not make an exception for military students who move into their state on military orders – just as they would not make an exception for a civilian student who moved for other reasons. You will need to apply the new state’s standards. You will also need to track the movement of military students to the extent possible. It is generally considered best practice to determine where the student plans to reside every term for all students – including military students.


  • Year Published : 2017
  • Month Published : May
  • External Link: here