Western Academic Leadership Academy
2020 Academy Intensive Dates: July 8-10, 2020
The Western Academic Leadership Academy, launched in 2015, is a year-long professional development program for academic leaders aspiring to become chief academic officers in the WICHE region’s postsecondary four-year sector. The Academy, sponsored by the Western Academic Leadership Forum (Forum), seeks to encourage the talents of the next generation of western provosts by helping to build the knowledge and skills of academic leaders who are poised to move to that level.
- Ilse-Mari Lee, Montana State University
- Are sitting campus provosts and system chief academic officers from the Western region
- Who share their expertise on the unique roles and responsibilities a provost assumes at a four-year institution and system office.
- They specifically focus on developing practical skills within academic affairs, fiscal affairs, student affairs, and external relationships, with a special sensitivity to the culture and environment of the West’s higher education community.
- Intensive three-day face-to-face seminar at WICHE’s headquarters in Boulder, CO.
- Cohort members to meet with a faculty mentor as well as their cohort colleagues at national meetings or electronically throughout the year for individual consultation about career paths.
- Academy’s program culminates in a face-to-face session at the Western Academic Leadership Forum annual meeting the following spring.
Academy Cost: $2,500
To be considered for participation, candidates:
- Must hold a position of dean or higher at one of the Forum member institutions or organizations.
- Must have a letter of nomination submitted by their respective official representative participating in the Western Academic Leadership Forum along with a completed application form (download here).
- Must submit a letter of interest and their CV.
All nomination materials should be submitted to Anna T. Galas, Director of Academic Leadership Initiatives, email@example.com. Candidates are selected by the Academy's faculty.
Nomination Deadline for the 2020 Cohort: February 14, 2020
For more information, contact Anna T. Galas, Director of Academic Leadership Initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Academy provided dedicated time and an ideal format for learning. Panel presentations offered a rich diversity of perspectives from seasoned administrators and panels were strategically paired with breakout sessions that allowed for meaningful exploration of solutions to participants' case studies. A winning combination!
- Jody Hironaka-Juteau, California State University, Fresno