What if I want to take online courses from a college or university outside the U.S?

Again, if you are simply taking a non credit course for pleasure or enrichment, you might just look for the best fit for your needs. If you need to take a course for credit that will transfer to an institution in the U.S. or want to earn a degree that will be recognized in the states, you should check the list of institutions recognized by Council of Higher Education Accreditors and check with the U.S. school where you expect to transfer later.

The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) hosts EDGE (Electronic Database for Global Education) that provides information about the educational systems in other countries. There is a fee to use this database, so talk with the registrar at your local college or university who may be able to check on a foreign school for you.

Never pay money to an online degree provider in a foreign country until you have thoroughly investigated the school and the nation’s educational system, otherwise you may find the degree invalid in the U.S.

Online Learning for Students and Parents