Forum 2012 Annual Meeting
Academic Leadership in the West: Harnessing the Power of Disruptive Innovation
April 18-20, 2012 | Phoenix, az
Hosted by: Arizona board of regents and arizona state University
Conference Hotel and travel
Hyatt Regency Phoenix
122 North Second Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004
The Hyatt Regency Phoenix is located in the heart of downtown Phoenix, AZ. Please make your room reservations by asking for the WICHE discounted rate of $159.00 (plus applicable taxes). The cut-off date for the discounted rate is March 24, 2012, unless the block fills earlier. Room costs are the responsibility of the meeting attendees.
Hotel Reservations. To make online reservations: https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=6504432
The Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is served by most major airlines. It is approximately four miles from the Hyatt Regency Phoenix.
Metro Light Rail
The light rail runs from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm daily to and from the airport. The fare is $1.75 one way. Tickets are purchased at a “fare vending machine” located at each light rail stop. Passengers board the light rail at the airport by taking the “Phoenix Airport Shuttle to Metro Light Rail” (free shuttle) from the north curb outside of the airport terminal 3 or 4. The shuttle will drop off at the 44th and Washington Street main light rail stop. Purchase your ticket at this location from the “fare vending machine”. Board the light rail westbound. The trip is approximately 13 minutes to the 3rd and Washington stop (listen for announcements prior to each stop). Walk one block west on Washington to 2nd street and one block north on 2nd to the Hyatt Regency.
Proceed to the Taxi Stand and request Yellow Cab which has a reduced fare for Hyatt Regency customers. The fare is $18.00 one way.
Driving instructions to Hyatt Regency Phoenix from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Take the 24th Street Exit north to Washington Street.
- Turn left on Washington Street (one way).
- Follow to Second Street, and turn right.
- The entrance to Hyatt Regency Phoenix is 1.5 blocks ahead on the left.
What to Wear
Dress for the meeting is business casual. The average temperature in the Phoenix area in April is 73 degrees.
Phoenix is a world-class destination because of its natural beauty, sunny skies, manicured golf courses and sports and cultural attractions. The city’s extensive desert preserve system offers visitors easy access to the Sonoran Desert and its surprising biological diversity. The Phoenix Points of Pride website highlights many of the city’s most unique attractions, and city-run facilities such as Pueblo Grande Museum and Heritage and Science Park offer visitors a chance to learn about the Valley’s native heritage and history.
things to do on your own
After the program concludes on Friday, we hope you will stay and explore the spectacular Phoenix area.
- Desert Botanical Garden - (www.dbg.org), located near the airport, contains approximately fifty acres under cultivation. Something is always blooming at the Desert Botanical Garden.
- Outdoors - By foot, by bike, or even by horse, there’s no shortage of mountain trails, some right in the city and some in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. Climb iconic Camelback Mountain (20 minutes from downtown), see the cityscape from Piestawa Peak, or head to South Mountain (just outside the city) for over 50 miles of trails.
- Phoenix Zoo - Voted one of the nation’s top five zoos for kids
- Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium - recently expanded to include an aquarium with 80 indoor exhibits.
- Arizona Science Center - more than 300 interactive exhibits, a planetarium and IMAX theatre.
- Heard Museum - this internationally known resposiory houses art and artifacts providing insights into the state’s 22 American Indian tribes and promotes the work of contemporary American Indian artists and artisans.
- Phoenix Art Museum - an impressive collection of European, Asian, Latin American, Western American and contemporary pieces—about 18,000 works in all.
- Shopping Areas - Biltmore Fashion Park, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Old Town Scottsdale and Mill Avenue, just to name a few.
- Golf and Spa - too many to mention for a full list of resorts and spas: http://www.visitphoenix.com/index.aspx
- Grand Canyon/ South Rim - 3 ½ to 5 hours by car (depending on how many scenic stops you make along the way).
- Sedona - Approximately 120 miles north; approximately 2 hours.