Culturally competent self help groups shall be created to provide services to consumers from the four groups and their families. The self help groups shall function as part of a continuum of care. Self help groups for consumers from the four groups shall incorporate consumer-driven goals and objectives that are functionally defined and oriented towards rehabilitative and recovery outcomes. Equal consideration and support shall be given to family and primary consumer self help groups.
- Managed care plans for behavioral health programs shall include resources to enable consumers from the four groups and their families to conduct self help groups.
- Consumers from the four groups and their families shall design, implement, and evaluate self help programs. Culturally competent mental health professionals shall serve in a consultative or educational role at the request of the consumer group.
- Existing self help entities (programs, agencies, and organizations) that provide services to consumers from the four groups and their families shall be identified, acknowledged, and supported to ensure that they meet these standards.
- Self help planning for consumers from the four groups and their families shall include consumer and family education about problems and conditions being treated, and preventive and treatment approaches.
- Consumer self help groups shall be given opportunities to advocate on behalf of consumers from the four groups and their families to ensure that benefit packages, changes in benefits, alterations in services, location of service programs, and changes in providers are congruent with consumer needs.
Recommended Performance Indicators
- Resources are expended on self-help groups.
- In-kind support is expended on self-help groups including such items as meeting rooms, advertising, and/or conducting mailings.
- Consumers and family participate in self-help or support groups.
- The agency provides information about disorders and treatment approaches to consumers and family in a culturally competent manner.
- The Managed Care Mental Health Plan supports the involvement of consumer and family self-help groups in planning for services.
- The total amount of expenditures on consumer-run mental health services in one year, divided by expenditures on mental health services.
- The estimated expenditures on consumer-run mental health services in one year, divided by expenditures on mental health services.
- Documentation of the level and proportion of racial/ethnic consumers and family who participate in self-help groups or support groups. This should be comparable with the participation of non-racial/ethnic groups.
- Consumer satisfaction with availability of self help approaches in the delivery of mental health care planning.
Benchmark: 90% consumer satisfaction