Prevention, Education, and Outreach
Each Managed Care Mental Health Plan shall have a prevention, education, and outreach program which is an integral part of the Plan's operations and which is guided in its development and implementation by consumers, families, and community-based organizations.
- Managed care plans shall develop mechanisms that increase the provider's knowledge of what the community wants and needs, how and in what form it obtains new information, and its experiences with existing services.
- The location of behavioral health services shall be a joint decision between managed care plans, providers and consumers.
- Prior to the development of prevention, education, and outreach programs, managed care plans shall document how they assess and plan to apply information and knowledge about risk factors associated with consumers from the four groups and their families.
- Prevention, education, and outreach approaches shall include specific services for at-risk youth in the family of the primary consumer.
- Managed care plans shall provide consumers from the four groups and their families with education and information about available service benefits and how to access them.
- Prevention, education, and outreach approaches shall consider the family and community systems in which the primary consumer lives.
- Prevention, education, and outreach plans and methods shall include linkages with religious organizations in the community and include training of members to assist in educating consumers about mental health service.
- Managed care plans shall offer programs to educate professionals and consumers about how consumers and their families can be more responsible for their own health and preventing illness.
- Managed care plans shall develop and maintain an updated listing of community resources that may be beneficial in providing prevention, education, and outreach services to consumers from the four racial/ethnic groups and their families.
Recommended Performance Indicators
- Activities and materials, including an updated listing of community resources, provided in the language(s) of the population(s) being served.
- Education and training linkages in place with faith-based organizations in the community.
- The Managed Care Mental Health Plan assesses the existence of racial/ethnic groups in the population being served, assesses the needs and risk factors associated with those populations, and takes these factors into consideration in prevention, education, and outreach activities.
- The organization coordinates education and outreach activities with community cultural organizations.
- Family oriented services include specific services for at-risk youth in the primary consumer’s family.
- Procedures are in place to provide consumers education on health promotion, illness prevention, and utilization of mental health service delivery systems.
- Established listing of community resources.
- Documentation that activities and material are provided in the proportion of the primary language(s) in the population served.
- The Managed Care Mental Health Plan maintains a list of cultural community organizations and documents the utilization of these organizations to assist in education and outreach.
- Consumer and family satisfaction with range of services and coordination of care.
Benchmark: 90% consumer satisfaction
- Community knowledge of health promotion, illness prevention, and utilization of mental health services delivery
Benchmark: 90% of covered population
- Consumer and provider advisory board participation in behavioral health service plan governments.
Benchmark: 90% participation