Prevention, Education and Outreach
Each Managed Care Mental Health Plan shall include a prevention, education, and outreach program that is integral part of the plan and each plan shall incorporate APIA culturally competent approaches, behaviors, and communication styles in its development and implementation. In the development and implementation phases, APIA consumers, their families, and community organizations shall be involved. The prevention, education, and outreach (PE&O) programs shall include APIA culturally specific knowledge of psychiatric impairment and treatment as these apply to the occurrence of mental illness, its distributional pattern, and help seeking behaviors, of APIA consumers.
- Managed care plans shall develop mechanisms that target APIA populations to increase provider knowledge of what the APIA community wants, needs, and how and in what form APIAs obtain new information, and APIA experiences with existing services.
- Managed care plans shall develop and evaluate their prevention, education, and outreach efforts with the APIA populations on principles and standards shown to have a positive relationship to the desired outcomes.
- The location of behavioral health services shall be a joint decision between managed care plans, providers and APIA consumers.
- Prior to the development of PE&O, managed care plans shall identify and document how they assessed and plan to apply information and knowledge about risk factors associated with APIA consumers and their families.
- Managed care plans shall provide a range of alternative services to APIA consumers.
- PE&O approaches shall include APIA specific services for at-risk youth in the family of the primary consumer.
- Managed care plans shall provide APIA and their families with education and information about the service benefits that are available and how to access them.
- PE&O approaches shall include the APIA family system in which the primary consumer lives.
- Managed care plans shall develop intensive outreach for APIA consumers and their families.
- PE&O plans and methods shall include linkages with religious organizations in the community and shall include training of APIA community members to assist in the education of APIA consumers about mental health service.
- Managed care plans shall offer programs to educate APIA consumers on the mental health service delivery system and how APIA consumers and their families can be responsible for their own health and prevention of illness.
- Managed care plans shall develop and maintain an updated listing of APIA community resources that may be beneficial in providing PE&O services to APIA consumers and their families.
Recommended Performance Indicators
- Procedures in place to conduct and utilize APIA community needs and assessments.
- Procedures in place to develop and evaluate prevention, education, and outreach with the APIA community.
- Availability of alternative services that meet the APIA community needs.
- Provision of APIA family oriented services, including, specific services for at-risk youth in the primary consumer’s family.
- Procedures in place to provide linkages with APIA community based organizations, including religious organizations.
- Procedures in place to provide APIA consumers education on health promotion, illness prevention, and utilization of mental health service delivery systems.
- Establishment of an APIA consumer and provider advisory board to inform behavioral health service plans.
- Established listing of APIA community resources.
- APIA consumer and family satisfaction with range of services and coordination of care.
Benchmark: 90% consumer satisfaction.
- APIA community knowledge of health promotion, illness prevention, and utilization of mental health services delivery.
Benchmark: 90% of covered population.
- APIA consumer and provider advisory board participation in behavioral health service plan governments.
Benchmark: 90% participation.