Standard and Guidelines for Prevention, Education & Outreach
Each managed care plan must include a prevention, education, and outreach program that incorporates culturally competent approaches, behaviors, and communication styles in its development and implementation. In the development and implementation phases, consumers of African descent, their families, and community organizations must be involved. The Prevention, Education & Outreach (PE&O) programs must include culturally specific knowledge of psychiatric impairment and treatment as these apply to the occurrence of mental illness, its distributional pattern, and help seeking behaviors of people of African descent.
- Managed care plans must develop mechanisms that target populations to increase their knowledge of what the community wants, needs, how and in what form it obtains new information, and its experiences with existing services.
- Managed care plans must base their prevention, education, and outreach efforts on principles and standards that have been researched and shown to have a positive relationship to the desired outcomes.
- The location of behavioral health services must be a joint decision between managed care plans, providers and consumers.
- Prior to the development of PE&O, managed care plans must identify and document how they assessed and plan to apply information and knowledge about risk factors associated with consumers of African descent and their families.
- Managed care plans must provide a range of alternative services to consumers of African descent and their families.
- PE&O approaches must include specific services for at risk youth in the family of the primary consumer.
- Managed care plans must provide consumers of African descent and their families with education and information about the service benefits that are available and how to access them.
- PE&O approaches must include consideration of the family system in which the primary consumer lives.
- Managed care plans must develop intensive outreach for consumers of African descent and their families.
- PE&O plans and methods must include linkages with religious organizations in the community and must include training of members to assist in the education of consumers about mental health service.
- Managed care plans must offer programs to educate professionals and consumers on mental health service delivery and how consumers of African descent and their families can assume responsibility for their own health and prevention of illness.
- Managed care plans must develop and maintain an updated listing of community resources that may be beneficial in providing PE&O services to consumers of African descent and their families.