WICHE Publications 2017 - 2015
This page lists online WICHE publications (PDFs) by publication date and title. The publications are listed top-down, with the most recent at the top. You can sort by both Publication Type (NewsCap, Annual Report, Workplan etc.) or Title, (complete or partial.) Please do not use both Publication Type and Title in the same sort. Note that there are also several 'subject' areas included in the Publication Title drop down. Use these if you are uncertain of the Publication Type.
For publications posted prior to 2015 please go to the WICHE Publication Archive.
Accessible versions of legacy WICHE publications are available upon request. Please submit your request through the WICHE Accessibility Request Form.
Challenges to closing the gap between findings from academic research and effective policymaking are not new, and they will not be solved overnight. However, as the entire education sector faces mounting pressure to provide high-quality education under tightening fiscal constraints, all while demonstrating improving student outcomes, the time may finally be right for a renewed spirit of collaboration between higher education researchers and policymakers.Pages: 8 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 230 KB
The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) is a 16-member commission working to boost access to higher education for students in the West and, as importantly, to ensure their success. By promoting innovation, cooperation, resource sharing, and sound public policy among its members and their institutions, WICHE strengthens higher education’s contributions to the region’s social, economic, and civic life. Our staff is working to find answers to some of the most critical questions facing higher education today.Pages: 4 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size:
Pages: 3 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 494 KB
- WICHE President Joe Garcia begins his outreach to Western states.
- Eleven institutions in Hawai‘i, Utah, and Wyoming to begin awarding Interstate Passport this fall.
- Matt Freeman, Jim Hansen reappointed to WICHE Commission, and WCET Executive Council welcomes two new members.
- Aspiring chief academic officers from WICHE states begin yearlong professional development program.
- Registration now open for Interstate Passport webinars, WCET Annual Meeting, and workshop for state authorization compliance managers.
Pages: 6 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 602 KB
- Joe Garcia assumes presidency of WICHE.
- WICHE region’s Pacific Islands membership now includes Guam.
- The latest data on college tuition and fees in Western states.
- 31 new high-quality graduate programs available through WRGP.
- Key elements of Interstate Passport Framework now in place.
- New from WCET: distance education enrollment, open educational resources, academic integrity.
WICHE and its 16 member states and territories work collaboratively to expand educational access and excellence for their citizens. By promoting innovation, cooperation, resource sharing, and sound public policy, WICHE strengthens higher education’s contributions to our social, economic, and civic life.Pages: 17 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 472 KB
WICHE's Policy Analysis and Research unit has released a new Policy Insights summarizing our most recent survey of published tuition and fees prices in all public institutions in the West in 2015-16, state budget levels, higher education appropriations, state financial aid programs, college affordability and related college finance topics and news.Pages: 8 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 198KB
Pages: 8 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 344 KB
Pages: 3 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 1.4 MB
- Nearly 38,000 students benefitting from WICHE exchange programs in 2015-16.
- Six new states now working on development of Interstate Passport.
- WCET report looks at policies, practices affecting adjunct faculty teaching online.
- ACCN webinar focuses on advising adult learners.
This report covers fall 2015 enrollments for WUE, WRGP, and PSEP. It details the funds that flow between students’ home states and the enrolling PSEP institutions that receive them and also provides detailed enrollment for participating WRGP programs and WUE institutions.Pages: 36 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 3.4 MB
Pages: 4 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 1. 5 MB
- Message from WICHE President David Longanecker
- Upcoming summit, webinars focused on connecting credentials
- 2015 WCET awards for eLearning leadership and innovation
- Impact of high school mentoring programs in Alaska, Idaho
- New WICHE Commission appointees
This brief provides an overview of the implementation and impact of near peer mentoring programs in Alaska and Idaho from the standpoint of both existing research and the near peers themselves. In addition to offering strategies and promising practices that have helped foster a college-going culture in both states, the brief provides testimonials from mentors and the students they have served – students who might otherwise never considered college as an option without the extra support of a near peer or college guide.Pages: 8 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 139 KB
Targeted Recovery: Recapping 2015 Higher Education Legislative Activity in the West summarizes key policy themes over the past year and highlights emerging issues to watch in future legislative sessions. Affordability was the dominant theme of the 2015 sessions; in an attempt to address affordability, legislators in the WICHE region passed bills freezing or limiting tuition increases and increased need-based aid and even offered low-cost degrees in an effort to improve financial assistance opportunities for students.Pages: 8 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 179 KB
This report is the latest update of WICHE's annual report on tuition and mandatory fees at public institutions in the West, including a state-by-state and institution-by-institution historical review of tuition changes from year to year, as well as those from one, five, and ten years ago. This report presents published tuition and fees amounts as averages both unweighted and weighted by full-time equivalent enrollments.~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size:
A Message from WICHE Chair Michael Rush
The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) was developed out of a time-tested practice in the West – neighbors helping neighbors to deal with the harsh realities of living and thriving in a vast frontier. The need for collaboration has not lessened in today’s world.Pages: 17 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 1,669 KB
Pages: 3 ~ Media Type: ~ File Size: 1.08 MB
- Joseph Garcia selected to succeed David Longanecker as WICHE president
- WICHE Commission elects 2016 officers
- WICHE awarded $2.99 million federal grant to expand Interstate Passport
- Policy Insight: Forging stronger links between the public workforce system and postsecondary education
- New cost-saving options for purchasing hardware products and services
This brief provides an overview of key components of the public workforce system that are most relevant for state postsecondary education planners and leaders as they address issues of educational attainment and workforce skill needs, particularly among lower-income or less-skilled segments of their state.Pages: 10 ~ Media Type: PDF ~ File Size: 270 KB